Happy Friday cord cutters!
This week we're talking about rumors of a new Amazon Fire TV stick.
Also: Q&A on how to fix time zone issues with streaming apps, short cuts, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS > New 4K Fire TV On The Way?
Earlier this week The Streamable shared a photo leaked on an Australian tech forum that seems to show a new 4K Amazon Fire TV stick. The image features some slight differences to the remote which are already available on newer Fire TV models.
The current 4K Amazon Fire TV Stick has been for sale since October 2018 so the timing could be right for a refresh, especially since the newer lower-end models have similar performance. But Amazon of course hasn't confirmed the rumor.
If it pans out, it would be the first time Amazon has announced a new streaming device in the spring since the launch of the original Fire TV box in 2014.
Would you buy a new Amazon Fire TV 4K stick if one is announced soon? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter.
Q&A > Why Is The Time Off By An Hour on my Streaming TV App?
This week's question comes from Johanna who says, "The time on my streaming TV app is off by an hour which makes it hard to know what's actually on. How can I fix it?"
Johanna didn't specify which app or which device she was using so the answer depends on the type of time error and where the app gets its time settings...
There are three common ways that apps set time including:
- Network Time - Many devices (including Tablo DVRs) get their time automatically from your internet service provider's network which is called NTP or Network Time Protocol. If your NTP is off by an hour or even just a few minutes it can usually be corrected with a call to your internet provider.
- Device Level Time - Some devices ask you to choose a time zone during setup. If the time on your streaming or mobile device is set incorrectly, apps may show the wrong time. Adjusting the time in the settings of your device should correct this.
- App Level Time - When it comes to live TV apps, if the TV guide data for a specific channel is off by an hour but other channels show the correct time, it's likely an issue that the app creator can work to correct. If all of the channels are off by an hour, it could be that your location is set incorrectly in the app's settings.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS > Break Up With Cable Giveaway, & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Regina King hosts and Nathaniel Rateliff performs on Saturday Night Live
- February 13th @ 11:30 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
- Catch the new game show Cherries Wild - February 14th @ 7:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- American Idol returns for season 19 - February 14th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CityTV
- Canadians can enjoy a new season of The Great Canadian Baking Show - February 14th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBC
- As well as the return of Master Chef Canada - February 14th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CTV
- Tune into the special Grand Ole Opry: 95 Years of Country Music - February 14th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Check out the new comedy Young Rock - February 16th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- Followed by the new sitcom Keenan - February 16th @ 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- Canadians can enjoy season 5 of Workin' Moms followed by season 2 of Tallboys - February 16th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBC
- Enjoy the new documentary series The Black Church: This Is Our Story, This Is Our Song - February 16th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Catch the premiere of Dateline's three-part docuseries The Widower - February 18th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
CANADIAN CORNER > 'Bell Let's Cut' Trending After Mass Layoffs
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.