Happy Thanksgiving week to cord cutters in the US. We hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday!
This week we're talking about what cord cutters can do about price hikes on big streaming bundles.
Also: Q&A on streaming the Food Network, short cuts including great Black Friday deals, tons of must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS > Hulu Latest Live TV Streamer to Hike Prices
Q&A > How Can I Stream the Food Network?
This week's question comes from Sandra who says, "The only thing I miss about cable is vegging out in front of the Food Network. Is there a way to just get that channel or do I have to pay for a bigger streaming package?"
As our main news story above highlights, it's virtually impossible to pay for a single channel whether you're accessing it via traditional pay TV or streaming.
At the moment, the cheapest way for Sandra to get her Food Network fix is Philo which includes that channel and about 50 more for just $20/month. However, there may be a lower-cost alternative on the horizon.
According to media blog The Desk, Discovery which owns the Food Network is planning to launch its own direct-to-consumer streaming service as soon as early December for just $5/month.
When the service is officially announced we'll be sure to share those details!
Have a question about cordcutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS > Early Black Friday Deals, Peanuts Coming to PBS, & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Enjoy A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving - November 22nd @ 7:30 p.m. on PBS
- Tune in to The American Music Awards - November 22nd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CTV
- If you missed it when it was streaming on Netflix you can catch the follow-up series Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life - November 23rd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Catch the special Women of Worth - November 25th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Enjoy The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration - November 25th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Watch The 94th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade live - November 26th @ 9:00 a.m. ET on NBC
- Canadians can catch the premiere of the Saved by the Bell reboot - November 26th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on Global (sorry Americans, you'll have to watch on Peacock)
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
CANADIAN CORNER > Canadian Black Friday Deals
On top of the deals on refurbished Tablo DVRs, Canadian cord cutters can also snag these deals:
There's no word yet on whether the Chromecast with Google TV will be discounted in Canada like it will be in the US but it's worth checking on later in the week.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!