Happy Friday AND Happy Long Weekend Cord Cutters! (Wooo!)
This week we've got your guide on how to watch NFL and college football as a cord cutter.
We've also got a sweet giveaway, news on the Amazon app for Apple, and as always this week's must-see TV!
OK... now let's get to it!
ENTER TO WIN: Celebrate OTA Day with Tablo and Mohu
As Canadians, we celebrate OTA Day today which marks the 2011 digital TV transition deadline here in the land of Mounties and maple syrup.
To mark the beginning of the era of beautiful, crisp Over-the-Air television, we've teamed up with our friends at Mohu to give away an awesome prize pack:
Get your entries in ASAP and make sure to share the contest for more chances to win!
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Comes to Android, Apple Users Still Waiting...
This week the Google Play Store added a direct access app for Amazon Prime Video so users can enjoy watching shows like The Wire and Transparent on all of their Android devices. Previously Amazon Prime Video was available on Android, but required users to jump through hoops or sideload APKs which is not user-friendly for the average cord cutter.
Meanwhile, word on the street is that the highly anticipated arrival of Amazon video on the Apple ecosystem may not be ready in time for Apple's fall launch event. Given the size and resources of these two companies, it's quite surprising that they haven't been able to get this app done.
WHAT'S ON: How to Watch NFL and College Football as a Cord Cutter
Did you know that just like Homer, you can enjoy watching your favorite NFL and college football teams without cable TV?
The experts at Cut Cable Today have put together a handy guide for how you can catch every single play this season while saving cash as a cord cutter.
What's your preferred cord cutting football setup? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook.
REVIEWS: The Experts Check Out Tablo DUAL & Tablo ENGINE
In case you missed it, we launched two new products earlier this year: Tablo DUAL which is a 2-Tuner OTA DVR with onboard storage, and Tablo ENGINE which is our first ever software-based DVR for the NVIDIA SHIELD.
Now the expert reviews are rolling in!
- The Dallas News says, "The Tablo DUAL is really a nice solution for receiving and recording OTA channels."
- And TechHive says of Tablo ENGINE, "This over-the-air DVR could take on TiVo."
But if you'd rather know how real people are using Tablo to cut the cord on cable, you can always check out our 'How I Cut the Cord with Tablo' blog series.
These posts are written by actual Tablo customers like Bryan, and provide insight on the tools and tricks they used to ditch cable forever.
STREAMING: What's Coming & Going from Netflix in August
As everyone is settling back into their routines, our friends at Netflix have some new shows and movies for you to enjoy alongside all of the great OTA TV you can watch with an antenna.
Here's our picks for September:
- Popular Netflix Originals Narcos (season 3), BoJack Horsemen (season 4) and Fuller House return
- Comedy fans will want to check out a trio of new specials: Marc Maron: Too Real, Jeff Dunham: Relative Disaster, and Jerry Before Seinfeld
- Or the hilarious Pacific Northwest sketch comedy Portlandia (season 7)
- Now that swimming season is winding down, enjoy all four Jaws movies without fear of being eaten
- Or pick classics like Dead Poets Society, Gangs of New York, Pulp Fiction, or Requiem for a Dream for movie night
- The kiddos can enjoy some new Disney classics like Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Hercules, and Pocahontas
- Or Miss Frizzle's return in The Magic Schoolbus Rides Again: Season 1
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
- Catch week 1 of College Football action - September 2 - 3 on on ABC, FOX, NBC
- Get a sneak peek at new the new broadcast TV series with preview specials:
- ABC Fall Preview - September 3 @ 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- CBS Fall Preview - September 4 @ 8:30 p.m. ET on CBS
- Talk shows Ellen, Live with Kelly and Ryan, and The View are all back starting September 5
- Get a preview of the 2017 NFL season with Football Night in America - September 7 @ 7:30 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- Followed by NFL matchup Kansas City vs. New England - September 7 @ 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
CANADIAN CORNER: CRTC Intros New Code of Conduct for TV
Starting today the CRTC has expanded the purview of the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) to include cable TV.
Originally designed as a dispute mechanism for Canadians to complain about problems with their cellular and internet providers, the CCTS found they were fielding more complaints about TV providers than any other telecom service combined. (What does that tell you about the state of TV in Canada?)
The code TV providers must now follow includes stipulations on clearer pricing and promotions, clearer billing, and requires 30 days notice on price hikes to existing packages. Unfortunately, there are no stipulations on providing services that Canadians actually want, like live streaming TV.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!