Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we have a Q&A on making the call to cut the cord, deals, short cuts, must-see TV, and more!
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
Q&A > What Do I Say When I Call to Cut the Cord?
This week's question comes from John who says, "I've just started using my TabloTV DVR and an antenna. I am now ready to sign up for one of the streaming networks. To cut the cord do I just call Spectrum and say to turn off the cable TV channels but keep the internet and WiFi connection?"
When you contact your cable provider to cut the cord, they may not see it as a goodbye but as an opportunity to reel you back in. Here are a few things to keep in mind when making the call.
Unless you're moving to a different ISP, you DO want to keep your internet connection. You will likely lose some 'bundle' discounts by cutting cable and keeping internet, but you'll save more by avoiding paying for TV and its myriad of sneaky fees. So don't let them convince you to keep a 'basic cable' package, especially if you have an antenna.
Don't let your provider convince you to boost your internet package or speeds either. Unless you've got online gamers in the home or other high-bandwidth needs, 25 MBPS download/3 MPBS upload speeds and a 1TB data cap are usually enough.
Ask them about returning your equipment. Some cable companies may simply tell you to recycle your cable boxes, while others may request you return them to a local outlet or by courier. Before you do, take pictures of the devices, their serial numbers, and the mailing labels just in case.
If you feel like you're getting the run around instead of a prompt cancellation, clearly and kindly re-state your request. While you shouldn't have to resort to lying about why you want to cancel your cable TV service, it has sometimes worked well for others.
Finally, when your next bill arrives, review it thoroughly to ensure that all TV services and related fees have been removed and that any remaining services like internet and phone are correctly billed.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
DEALS > Sale on Refurbished Tablo DVRs & More
This week's deals on cord cutting gear and services include:
SHORT CUTS > Manage Streaming Spending with Virtual Credit Cards, & More
'Short Cuts' delivers all the cord-cutting news you need to know about, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
In addition to several Queen Elizabeth-related specials, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Watch season 2 of the quiz show College Bowl - September 9th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/City TV
- Tune in to the premiere of the country music drama Monarch - September 11th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX (September 14 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on Global)
- Catch the 74th Emmy Awards live - September 12th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- Canadians can enjoy the miniseries The North Water - September 12th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBC
- Canadians can also catch season 30 of This Hour Has 22 Minutes - September 13th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBC
- Followed by season 2 of Strays - September 13th @ 8:30 p.m. ET on CBC
- And then followed by the premiere of Comedy Night With Rick Mercer - September 13th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBC
- Enjoy the Academy of Country Music Honors - September 13th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- Check out the ABC Fall Preview Special - September 14th @ 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC
- The Canadian version of Dragon's Den returns for its 17th season - September 15th @ 8:00 p.m. on CBC
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.