Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we've got tons of exciting gear news including hints that a new Amazon Fire TV 'Cube' is on the way!
We're also talking about a sweet new giveaway, the top-ranked OTA DVRs, what's new on Netflix, this week's must-see OTA TV and more!
As always, if someone you know is interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
GEAR: The Amazon Fire TV Cube Is Coming Soon!
Eagle-eyed Elias from AFTVnews.com spotted a new page on Amazon.com allowing consumers to sign up for news about something called the 'Fire TV Cube'. This was the first public indication that the highly-anticipated addition to Amazon's streaming device lineup is getting closer to launch after product mockups were leaked late last year.
Then scans of a user manual from an Amazon Ethernet adapter were shared by Engadget which seem to confirm the Cube's impending existence.
Amazon has yet to confirm any of this, but timing seems to be lining up for a product launch on or before Amazon Prime Day which usually falls the 2nd week of July. Stay tuned!
In other gear news...
- Apple TV Viewership is Up 709% in the first 3 months of 2018. Why? Cord Cutters news postulates it's due to more services actually having apps for the device, but perhaps it's also because of the popularity of streaming TV service promotions that provided a free Apple TV upon signup.
- And speaking of Roku, starting on May 1st Canadians will finally be able to get their hands on the Streaming Stick+ which offers support for 4K and HDR content, as well as improved WiFi. The Streaming Stick+ is already a favorite in the US, where its been available since last fall.
REVIEWS: Tablo Retains Best OTA DVR Crown
The folks at TechHive maintain what is arguably the most comprehensive review roundup for Over-the-Air DVRs. And since the roundup's debut in early 2017, the original 2-Tuner Tablo OTA DVR has held the top spot... Until this week when it was replaced by our latest OTA DVR, the Tablo DUAL LITE!
The folks at TechHive say the Tablo DUAL LITE is, "... the best over-the-air DVR for folks who aren't tech-savvy..." and that "... setup is refreshingly simple compared to other whole-home DVR solutions..."
Want a chance to win your own Tablo DUAL LITE?
Our friends at Mohu are giving one away, along with their new Mohu Blade antenna, and an Amazon Fire TV stick! Enter now and enter often!
HOW TO: Find Out If & When Your Local Channels Will Be Affected by the Repack
A few weeks ago we talked about the three reasons to regularly rescan for Over-the-Air channels, one of which is your local channels may be moving channel numbers.
Thankfully the folks at Antennaweb.org have made it easy to find out if and when your favorite Over-the-Air channels will be making a switch. Just go to their website and enter your address.
Channels marked with the yellow 'i' symbol will be moving.
Clicking on the 'i' symbol will show you expanded information including, the phase in which the channel will be making the switch, the date that phase will be completed by, the current channel number, and the new channel number.
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix in May
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, check out our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in May:
- There's lots for the kids including Disney Pixar flick Coco, the classic Shrek, season 4 of Inspector Gadget, and Bridge to Terabithia
- In the mood for a good cry? Check out Hachi: A Dog's Tale
- Need a laugh? Steve Martin and Martin Short: An Evening You Will Forget for the Rest of Your Life should be memorable...
- Or try The 40 Year Old Virgin, Mama Mia!, or the latest comedy special from Ali Wong: Hard Knock Wife
- My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman continues with guests Tina Fey and Howard Stern
- And check out season 4 of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Canadians can also enjoy the classic flick My Girl, catch up on season 5 of Brooklyn 99, or see what the deal is with the Jennifer Lawrence movie Mother!
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
Along with the NHL Playoffs, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna including:
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
- NBA Basketball playoff action continues - April 29 @ 1:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Dancing with the Stars returns with an all-athlete cast including Olympian Adam Rippon and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - April 30 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CityTV
- Elementary returns for season 6 - April 30 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
CANADIAN CORNER: CBS
All Some Access Comes to Canada
US-based network CBS launched their 'All Access' streaming service in Canada earlier this week, but it may as well be called 'Some Access'.
The service - which costs $5.99/month - has no live TV streaming, no Star Trek Discovery, no (current season) The Good Fight, and no Big Bang Theory... Mostly because rights for those shows are already locked down by other providers in the country.
Some felt the catalog was so poor, they didn't even keep the service for the remainder of the free trial.
CBS All Access also does not provide the live web feeds that hardcore Big Brother fans in the US love, nor NFL Football games. Without this premiere content, it'll likely be an uphill battle for CBS to attract customers.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!