Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
Before we jump into things, Cord Cutting This Week is going on summer hiatus for the next two weeks. You can expect your next dose of cord cutting news on August 18th.
Now on to this week... We're comparing two different approaches to Over-the-Air TV for cordcutters: Tablo and HDHomeRun.
We're also talking about a potential security threat for users of illegal KODI Add-Ons, the top-selling streaming devices, what's new on Netflix, and as always this week's must-see TV!
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Analysts Forecast Continued Cord Cutting Over the Next Decade
Analysts are predicting that more than 31 million people will have cut the cord on cable by 2027, based on current trends. With the proliferation of streaming services and cord cutting technology, traditional pay TV providers are definitely feeling the squeeze.
What do you think TV will be like in 2027? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook.
GEAR: Tablo OTA DVRs vs. SiliconDust HDHomeRun Tuners
If you're researching ways to watch and record Over-the-Air TV, you might have come across networked tuner products called HDHomeRun from a company called SiliconDust.
While both Tablo and HDHomeRun connect your TV antenna to your home network to deliver Over-The-Air content, but how the products work, their features, and supported devices are very different.
Check out the Tablo blog for a detailed comparison which will help you make the best choice for your cord cutting needs.
Already sold on Tablo? Don't miss out on the $50 off sale on Tablo DUAL in-store exclusively at Best Buy!
Even better, for a limited time we're giving you the 1st year of guide data absolutely FREE when you use the coupon code BESTBUY1 on the Tablo subscription store.
This is a limited-time offer so don't miss out!
GEAR: Roku Continues to Lead Streaming Device Market
The latest streaming set-top-box market share study shows Roku continues to lead the pack. This year, 38.9 million Americans will use a Roku at least once per month, up 19% over 2016. Why? The experts cite their ability to sign content and partnership deals and their pricing as key factors.
Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV come in a close second and third, with Apple TV lagging behind.
That being said, just because Roku is popular doesn't mean it's the best streaming device for YOU. Check out our set-top-box guide so you can make the best buying decision for your needs.
NEWS: Popular KODI Pirating Add-On Potential Security Threat
Last month we brought you news about the shutdown of TVAddons - a piece of software designed for streaming pirated content through KODI home theater software. Ownership of the company has been transferred to a Canadian law firm which has not publicly stated its future plans for the software. A spokesperson for KODI posits that the firm could do any number of things, including installing watcher that reports back the user’s IP address and everything they were doing in KODI.
Want to learn more about KODI, Add-Ons, and 'KODI boxes'? Check out the Tablo blog.
STREAMING: What's Coming & Going from Netflix in August
As the fall TV season premieres loom, now is the time to get caught up on what you've got recorded on your Tablo OTA DVR, or that are streaming on Netflix. Of course there are some new series and movie favorites coming too that can supplement all of the great OTA TV you can watch with an antenna.
Here's our picks for August:
- Revisit Neo and Trinity and check out The Matrix trilogy
- Anxious for Halloween? Get geared up with Practical Magic and Sleepy Hollow
- Croon along with animated musical Sing for family movie night
- Bronies (and kids) can check out season 7 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
- Or season 5 of the Netflix Original Dinotrux
- More into wicked-cool fight scenes? There'll probably be a few in season 1 of Marvel's Defenders
- And catch up on season 1 of The Good Place before the premiere this fall
- Canadians can also check out Best Picture Nominee Fences and the miniseries The Myst based on the Stephen King novella
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
- Catch third and final round action in the PGA's RBC Canadian Open - July 29 & 30 @ 3:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- Wrap special The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All airs - July 31 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CityTV
- Canadians can check out the premiere of soccer drama 21 Thunder - July 31 @ 9:00 p.m. on CBC
- In-depth newsmagazine CBSN: On Assignment premieres - July 31 @ 10:00 p.m. on CBS
- Explore the beauty of the Emerald Isle in Ireland's Wild Coast premiering - August 2 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- NFL pre-season action starts as the Cowboys take on the Cardinals - August 3 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC, 9:00 p.m. ET on NBC
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
CANADIAN CORNER: Handmaid's Tale Now on Crave TV
Crave TV is now streaming season one of the Emmy nominated Handmaid's Tale. The 'made-for-streaming' adaptation of Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel is one of this year's must-watch shows.
Crave TV is also showing the new season of David Lynch's Twin Peaks reboot, and their hilarious original Letterkenny so now might be a good time to take advantage of their 1 month free trial.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!