Happy Friday Cord Cutters! (And wishes for a peaceful Memorial Day to our US fans...)
This week we're talking about the best new shows from the Fall 2017 'upfronts' and giving you a sneak peek at what you'll be watching later this year.
We've also got tips on how to ease into cord cutting, what's new on Netflix, a look at the abysmal customer satisfaction rates of cable companies, this week's must-see TV and more!
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Nuvyyo Named One of the Top 10 Fastest Growing Companies in Ottawa
First up, a big thank you to our customers! Because of you, Tablo's parent company Nuvyyo has been named one of the top 10 Fastest Growing Companies in Ottawa.
Over the past three years we've grown significantly because of your support and we look forward to continued success in 2018 and beyond.
WHAT'S ON: Trailers for TV's New Fall Shows, Ranked
Major broadcast networks recently completed 'upfronts': showing off the new shows they've greenlit for the fall. The folks at EOnline have ranked the trailers and have given ABC's The Mayor top spot, followed by two FOX sci-fi comedies Ghosted and The Orville.
Check out the full list and watch all of the trailers here.
Which show are you most excited for? Let us know on Twitter or Facebook.
NEWS: Cable Customer Satisfaction Drops, Cord Cutting Rises
The newest consumer satisfaction survey for the telecom industry shows that despite investing $300 million in 'fixing' its customer service woes, Comcast's customers hated them an extra 6% last year. As cord cutting tech and streaming services become more mainstream, the number of consumers bailing on traditional pay TV is set to continue to increase dramatically.
You'd think cable companies would see the correlation between satisfied customers and customer retention, but it doesn't seem like they understand that basic concept.
Did a customer service debacle lead to your choice to cancel cable? Tell us about it on Twitter or Facebook.
HOW TO: Ease Into Cord Cutting This Summer
If you're an unsatisfied Comcast customer but have still been waffling on cutting the cord on cable, summer is a great time to ease into it. Instead of a dramatic chop, try an Over-the-Air antenna, sign up for some streaming service trials and see how things go. By the time your next cable bill comes, you might be surprised how little you've actually used it!
Get the full how-to on the Tablo blog and get started this weekend!
NEWS: Facebook Latest Front in Crackdown on 'KODI Boxes'
Following in the footsteps of eBay and Amazon, Facebook is the latest site to ban the sale of 'fully loaded KODI boxes'. The social media site changed their commerce policy this week to prevent the sale of “products or items” that facilitate or encourage unauthorized access to digital media.
Given that the sale of these devices seem pervasive on local buy/sell groups, we'll have to see how well this 'ban' works in practice.
STREAMING: What's Coming & Going from Netflix in June
It can't be beautiful every day of the summer, so enjoy these new streaming shows on rainy days as a supplement all of the great OTA TV you can watch with an antenna.
Here are our picks:
- Check out new seasons of great Netflix originals Orange Is the New Black, Inspector Gadget, Flaked, and The Ranch.
- Fans of Community should like new Netflix Original Glow starring Allison Brie. Set in the 1980s it focuses on a struggling actress (Brie) who lands in the world of pro wrestling.
- The kids will love to see Disney's Moana or Dreamworks' Trolls for the 300th time.
- Check out one of Gene Wilder's most famous roles in Young Frankenstein or the Kubrick Vietnnam war classic Full Metal Jacket.
See a full list of new Netflix shows here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
- Catch The National Memorial Day Concert featuring performances from Moana's Auli'i Cravalho and Vanessa Williams - May 28 @ 8:00 p.m. on PBS
- Shonda Rhimes-helmed mini-series Still Star Crossed imagines what happens between the Montagues and the Capulets after the end of Romeo & Juliet and premieres - May 29 @ 10:00 p.m. on ABC/CTV
- Whose Line Is It Anyway is back with a twist: celebrity guest stars joining in on the improv - May 29 @ 9:00 p.m. on CW
- Tyra Banks takes over hosting duties on the new season of America's Got Talent premiering - May 30 @ 8:00 p.m. on NBC/CityTV
- Hosted by Jenna Dewan-Tatum with judges Jennifer Lopez, Ne-Yo and Derek Hough, reality competition World of Dance premieres - May 30 @ 10:00 p.m. on NBC/CTV
- Get a double-dose of Gordon Ramsey with the premieres of The F Word and Master Chef season 13 - May 31 starting @ 8:00 p.m. on FOX/CTV
- Season 3 of The Carmichael Show premieres - May 31 @ 9:00 p.m. on NBC
- The NBA & NHL playoffs continue with Finals on ABC, NBC and CBC
CANADIAN CORNER: Netflix Providing 'Download Zones' for Cottagers
Canadians know just how rare a full weekend of summer sunshine can be, which is why Netflix is creating temporary 'download zones' in Ontario cottage country on long weekends this summer. Given the crazy mobile data pricing in this country, the zones will offer free WiFi to use the download feature Netflix added late last year so you can binge Stranger Things on rainy days.
Do you bring tech to the cottage or out camping, or do you fully unplug? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!