Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
We're back in the saddle after enjoying a little summer sunshine. We hope you've had a chance to do the same.
Now on to this week... We're teamed up with the folks at NVIDIA and Mohu for an awesome giveaway.
We've also talking about the best indoor OTA antennas, the streaming TV arms race, and as always this week's must-see TV!
OK... now let's get to it!
ENTER TO WIN: The Gamer's Cord Cutting Prize Pack
To celebrate the launch of our new app-based OTA DVR solution, we've teamed up with the good folks at NVIDIA and Mohu to give you a chance to win the king of home media streaming and gaming devices - the NVIDIA SHIELD PRO - and all of the things you'll need to turn it into an Over-the-Air DVR, including:
- A Tablo TUNER dual-tuner USB antenna adapter
- A 1 year Tablo ENGINE guide data subscription
- A brand-new top of the line Mohu Glide 65 mile range flat indoor OTA antenna
Get your entries in ASAP and make sure to share the contest for more chances to win!
Already picked up a Tablo TUNER for use with your NVIDIA SHIELD? Don't forget to redeem your unique coupon code before August 31st to get 6 months of free Tablo ENGINE guide data!
NEWS: Almost 1 Million Americans Cut the Cord in Q2
With 941,000 customers ditching pay TV over the last 3 months, the record setting rate of cord cutting has Wall Street spooked. Traditional TV subscription providers - especially satellite providers like Dish - are struggling to compete against cheaper and more interactive streaming services, as well as the growth of OTA TV.
What combo of services and tech did you drop cable or satellite for? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook.
GEAR: Best Indoor Over-the-Air Antennas
The folks at Digital Trends have updated their recommendations for the best indoor Over-the-Air antennas. The Antennas Direct Clear Stream Eclipse model received top billing, but Winegard's Flatwave, and Mohu's Leaf, Metro, and Sky60 models also appear on the list.
One thing to keep in mind when selecting an OTA antenna is that the 'right' model for you depends on several different factors, so it's best to do some research before picking up the one a friend or even an expert recommends.
NEWS: The Jetsons Returning to TV
News hit this week that The Jetsons will be coming back to ABC as a live-action multi-camera sitcom. No word on an airdate yet, but the show is being produced by Oscar-winning director Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump, Back to the Future) and written by a member of The Family Guy staff.
What other shows would you like to see make a comeback? Perhaps a live action Scooby Doo? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook.
STREAMING: Content 'Arms Race' Heating Up Between Streaming Services
As more consumers cut the cord, and more streaming services appear on the market, the streaming TV arms race is heating up. Over the last few weeks alone:
- Disney ended its distribution deal with Netflix as it plans to launch its own streaming service for kids' content in 2019 as well as another one for its ESPN content 'early next year'
- In return, Netflix poached the mind behind its biggest successes on its ABC Network - Shonda Rhimes - creator of Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, and more
- Meanwhile, Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman has ditched AMC for Amazon
- And the big streaming services are cranking up their spending on content: Netflix plans to invest $7 billion next year and Amazon is catching up, planning to spend $6 billion
- Which has made this space so hot that tech giants Apple and Facebook are both getting in on making 'TV' for their platforms
What does this mean for cord cutters? More spending on content - especially on 'originals' - means you'll have access to a wider variety of shows than ever before. But, as everyone moves to compete against Netflix and Amazon, you'll have to make some tough spending decisions of your own about which new streaming services you add to your lineup.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
- Catch some of the Little League World Series - August 19-20 @ 3:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Season 4 of Endeavour begins - August 20 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Get your solar eclipse fix from:
- ABC News Special The Great American Eclipse - August 21 @ 1:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- CBS News Special Solar Eclipse 08.21.17 - August 21 @ 1:00 p.m. ET on CBS
- The smart folks at NOVA during their special Eclipse Over America - August 21 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- BBC hit The Great British Bake Off comes to Canada - August 23 @ 8:00 p.m. on CBC
- Learn about NASA's Voyager missions in The Farthest - Voyager in Space premiering - August 23 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
CANADIAN CORNER: Netflix-Disney Deal Still 'Game On' in Canada
The good news: reports are that although Disney has ended its content distribution deal with Netflix in the US, the content including movies like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and animated flicks like Moana will still be available on international versions of Netflix including in Canada. The bad news: that's likely because Disney's new streaming service won't be launching here.
If we hear any differently, we'll be sure to let you know!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!