Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week, we've got a 'how-to' guide for cord cutting football fans!
Also: tips for lowering your cord cutting costs, a review of the best Smart TV operating systems, what's new on Netflix, this week's must-see OTA TV, and more!
As always, if someone you know is interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
HOW TO: Watch NFL Football as a Cord Cutter
The 2018 NFL football season kicks off September 6th. That means you've got just enough time to perfect your cord cutting setup before the first snap.
Thankfully our friends at Cordcutting.com stopped by the Tablo blog this week to give you the 'how-to' scoop on catching NFL action without an expensive cable subscription.
What's your favorite way to watch football? Live as it happens or later so you can skip through commercials and banter? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter!
HOW TO: Lower Your Cord Cutting Costs
REVIEW: What's the Best Smart TV Operating System?
It's getting more difficult to purchase a television these days that doesn't have some sort of built-in 'Smart' operating system. Thankfully those operating systems are becoming more standardized and user-friendly, but some stand out more than others.
This week, the folks at MakeUseOf reviewed the most popular Smart TV platforms, and a few clearly stood out over the rest.
What's your favorite Smart TV system? Did you purchase your newest television specifically for the system it runs? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter!
(And hey, check out our how-to on finding and downloading the Tablo app on your Smart TV!)
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, check out our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in September:
- Catch some great movie classics including Groundhog Day, Scarface, and The Breakfast Club
- The kids can rewatch Lilo & Stitch or The Emperor's New Groove for the 1000th time
- Don't miss season 5 of the excellent animated dramedy Bojack Horseman, or one of Netflix's newest originals Maniac starring Emma Stone and Jonah Hill
- And if you didn't see it in theatres, check out Black Panther!
- Canadians can also enjoy classics like Kramer vs. Kramer, Labyrinth, and Animal House
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Both College and NFL Football are back starting this week! (Various times/channels)
- Check out the 2018 Reebok CrossFit Games individual finale - September 2 @ 5:00 p.m. ET on CBS
- Giggle your way back to class with the Back to School Just for Laughs comedy special - September 5 @ 9:00 p.m. on CW
CANADIAN CORNER: CanCon Requirements Back Up
Expect to see more shows like Big Brother Canada, Eat Street, Corner Gas, and Orphan Black in the coming years.
This week, the CRTC has reversed its prior decision on how much revenue broadcasters must spend on creating Canadian content.
Last year, the regulator had told Bell, Corus, and Rogers they ALL had to allocate 5% of revenues to telling Canadian-focused stories. The revised decision will see them pay 7.5, 8.5, and 5% respectively. Requirements for French-language broadcasters are much more onerous.
Oh... And this weekend is your LAST CHANCE to win a Tablo DUAL 64GB OTA DVR, so get your entries in for @MontrealOTA's Twitter contest in celebration of OTA Day!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!