Hey there cord cutters! You've made it through another week... congrats!
This week we're looking at how the massive wave of cord cutting is set to turn into a tsunami over the coming months.
Also: Q&A on using your Fire TV when the internet is down, short cuts, a massive list of must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Stage is Set for a Tsunami of Cord Cutting
Cutting the cord on pay-TV has been on a steady increase for years, but pandemic-related closures and the resulting economic fallout could turn the current wave of cord cutters into a tsunami.
On the consumer side, sales of Over-the-Air TV antennas are up and so is the trend of more a la carte cord cutting plans as folks ditch cable and even larger streaming bundles over the lack of live sports.
On the other side of the fence, bars, restaurants, and even gyms are all major subscribers to cable and satellite television, often paying premium business rates. For those that are still shut down, TV is a simple piece of overhead to eliminate. For those starting to re-open, it may be difficult to justify the costs of turning it back on for their customers... at least until sports return.
Along with slashed advertising revenues, and significant financial hits to their other businesses including theme parks and video production, the pay-TV industry has never been in worse shape.
Have you moved up your plans to cut the cord? If you're a cord cutter, are friends and family increasingly turning to you for advice on how to cut cable? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter.
Q&A: How Can I Use My Fire TV When the Internet Is Down?
Send us your most pressing cord cutting questions via email so we can answer them in an upcoming issue.
This week's question comes from Michael who says, "When my internet is down my Fire TV stick will not bring up the Amazon menu so you can't launch apps even if they don't require external internet access. Is there a workaround?"
Some TV apps like those for Tablo DVRs, PLEX, and VLC don't necessarily need access to the external internet as the video content they play is (mostly) stored locally.
Unlike competing devices, Amazon Fire TV unfortunately assumes that no internet = no streaming TV and locks down the home screen with the exception of SETTINGS. Thankfully, that's the key to the workaround.
As this great video from Hakemon Mike on YouTube shows, selecting SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE INSTALLED APPLICATIONS will let you find and launch apps even when your Amazon Fire TV isn't connected to the web.
If your local network stays active, you should be able to use this handy trick to watch your Tablo DVR and other content stored locally as you wait for the internet to come back online.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS: Huge Tablo PREVIEW App Update & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Catch the special The Greatest #StayAtHome Videos - May 15th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS
- Followed by Bravery and Hope: 7 Days on the Front Line - May 15th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS
- Masters of Illusion returns for season 7 - May 15th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Canadians can check out the new comedy Dead Still - May 15th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on CityTV
- Enjoy the hilarious video special AFV@Home - May 17th @ 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Get your puppy fix by watching The Beverly Hills Dog Show (held in February) - May 17th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Swifties won't want to miss the Taylor Swift City of Lover Concert special - May 17th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Catch the special Penn & Teller: Try This at Home - May 18th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Superhero fans can catch the premiere of Stargirl - May 19th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Daytime fans should tune into the special The Story of Soaps - May 19th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Drama The 100 returns for season 7 - May 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- For the kids, The Wonderful World of Disney is back starting with Moana - May 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- If you like American Ninja Warrior, give the new show Ultimate Tag a shot - May 20th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CTV
- Drama Burden of Truth returns for season 3 - May 21st @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Check out the special Celebrity Escape Room - May 21st @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Followed by the 2020 Red Nose Day fundraiser special - May 21st @ 9:00 p.m. ET on NBC |
- Catch the new reality dating show Labor of Love - May 21st @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CityTV
- Game show Holey Moley returns for season 2 - May 21st @ 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Followed by the season 5 premiere of To Tell The Truth - May 21st @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CHCH
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record!
CANADIAN CORNER: Half of Canadians Streaming More
A recent survey shows that 53% of Canadians are streaming more TV these days.
Some are even signing up for brand new streaming services to supplement their existing viewing.
Have you tried a new streaming service in the last few months or signed up for an additional service? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.