Happy Black Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we're highlighting all of the best Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals for cord cutters. Now is a GREAT time to get geared up for cutting cable, or to upgrade your current streaming setup.
Also: Q&A on whether you need a 4K streamer if you don't have a 4K TV, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: DVR App FitzyTV Removed from Amazon & Google Play Stores
Cord cutters are using FitzyTV to record content from paid streaming services, even if those services don't offer their own cloud DVR service.
But, recording of streaming content falls into a grey area already. The user agreements for most streaming services prevent recording of content outside any 'official' cloud DVR service, which is one of the reasons why hardware DVRs like Tablo cannot record both antenna TV and streaming TV.
Q&A: Do I Need a 4K Streamer If My TV Isn't 4K?
Send us your most pressing cord cutting questions via email so we can answer them in an upcoming issue.
Today's question comes from Sam who says, "I'm buying a new streaming device this Black Friday. Should I buy one that supports 4K even though I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan to buy one anytime soon?"
Just because you don't have a 4K TV and don't plan to buy one, doesn't mean you shouldn't add a 4K-capable streaming device to your Black Friday cart.
Streaming devices that support 4K are packed with other technology that will provide a better overall experience than their lower-cost, non-4K cousins such as faster WiFi or Ethernet connectivity, faster processors, and more features.
This is why we always recommend that cord cutters purchase the highest quality streaming device model they can with the latest technology. The longevity of these higher performance devices is worth the extra $20-$40 up front, especially if you rotate your older device to a secondary TV as you purchase newer gear for your primary television.
Before you go to the store or jump online to shop, check out this TechHive guide to which streaming devices are the best buys in terms of technology this Black Friday.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS: All the Best Black Friday Deals for Cord Cutters
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, check out our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in December:
- Netflix has two big original movies on deck: the critically acclaimed Marriage Story with Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver and 6 Underground starring Ryan Reynolds
See the full list of new Netflix shows in the US and in Canada.
- Original series The Witcher is premiering as well as season 2 of the Lost in Space reboot
- Have a spy movie marathon by catching the 'real 007' in Die Another Day, Golden Eye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The World is Not Enough followed by the campy 'fake 007' Austin Powers trilogy
- The kids will love The Secret Life of Pets 2
- Canadians can also enjoy a chick-flick marathon with Titanic, Steel Magnolias, and Notting Hill
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Enjoy the special Penn & Teller: Merry Fool Us - November 29th @ 11:30 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
- Reality competition The Great Christmas Light Fight returns - December 2nd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Crafting competition Making It returns for a second holiday-themed season - December 2nd @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Country fans won't want to miss Brad Paisley Thinks He's Special - December 3rd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Followed by CMA Country Christmas - December 3rd @ 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- The kids won't want to miss the animated special How to Train Your Dragon: Homecoming - December 3rd @ 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- Watch the tree lighting from the comfort of your living room on the 87th Annual Christmas in Rockefeller Center special - December 4th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Catch the premiere of the new holiday comedy miniseries The Moodys starring Denis Leary - December 4th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- Canadians can enjoy the special Jann Arden: One Night Only - December 4th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CTV
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING and TV SHOWS > GENRE > HOLIDAY filters on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record!
CANADIAN CORNER: The Best Canadian Black Friday Deal
The best overall Black Friday deal we've seen for Canadian cord cutters is the Amazon Fire TV Cube.
The device is super powerful, lets you to control your TV via its built-in Alexa assistant, and includes apps for all major Canadian streaming services.
Best of all, the device is being sold for just $89.99 CAD (regularly $149.99 CAD) on Amazon.ca which is the exact same Black Friday price this device is selling for in US dollars on Amazon.com. When was the last time you've seen that?!
For even more great Canadian Black Friday deals, check out this thread from the team at Mobile Syrup.
Oh, and don't forget we have Black Friday deals on Tablo DVRs for fellow Canucks too!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.