Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
We've got a jam-packed issue this week folks including an awesome new feature coming to Tablo OTA DVRs - 5.1 Surround Sound!
We're also sharing some great tips for staying under your internet data cap, an Over-the-Air TV antenna buyer's guide, what's new on Netflix, this week's must-see OTA TV, and SO MUCH more!
As always, if someone you know is interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: 5.1 Surround Sound Passthrough Coming to Tablo OTA DVRs
With NFL pre-season football starting soon, we’re incredibly excited to announce a new feature coming to all Tablo OTA DVRs – Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound!
When enabled, the new Surround Sound setting will tell Tablo to capture 5.1 Surround Sound audio where available and pass it through to ALL devices connected to your DVR.
For additional details on this new feature, and the firmware update that enables it, head over to the Tablo blog.
TIPS: How to Deal with a Data Cap as a Cord Cutter
Many cable companies are trying to fight back against the cord cutting revolution by implementing data caps, or implementing them ONLY for customers who opt for internet-only packages.
Would-be cord cutters may think this would prevent them from finally ditching expensive pay-TV subscriptions. However, there are many tips and tricks you can use to avoid going over your cap including watching your favorite shows with an Over-the-Air antenna instead of online streaming.
The folks at TechHive put together a great list of ways you can keep your data usage in check, but if you've got a trick they missed tell us via Facebook or Twitter and we'll share it with the class!
GEAR: What's the Best Over-the-Air TV Antenna for Cord Cutters?
Speaking of using an antenna for cord cutting, choosing the right antenna for your needs is critical.
Unfortunately there is no 'best' Over-the-Air TV antenna for every situation, which is why we've put together a TV antenna buyer's guide that outlines everything you need to know to make an informed buying decision.
Have an antenna that you love? Tell us what model you use and why you love it via Facebook or Twitter!
NEWS: New Over-the-Air Subchannel Coming to CBS Affiliates
This fall a new Over-the-Air subchannel called Start TV may be coming to a CBS affiliate near you.
Aimed primarily at women, the network will show dramas including The Good Wife, The Closer, Medium, Crossing Jordan, and Cold Case.
On its September 3rd launch date, Start TV will reach approximately 42% of US households. For a list of affiliate locations, head over to StartTV.com.
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix in August
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, check out our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in August:
- Don't miss Simpsons creator Matt Groening's newest show Disenchantment, and season 2 of the Netflix original hit Ozark
- Enjoy the cult classic movie Clerks, or break out the kleenex and revisit Steel Magnolias
- Want something more serious? Check out No Country for Old Men, Million Dollar Baby, or Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- The kiddos won't want to miss season 3 of Dinotrux Supercharged
- Canadians can also enjoy 8 Mile, The Land Before Time, and the actually pretty hilarious Popstar: Never Stop Stopping
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Check out the WNBA All-Star game - July 28 @ 3:30 p.m. ET on ABC
- Reality series Pink Collar Crimes premieres - July 29 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS (5:00 p.m. ET on CityTV)
- Fans of Parks & Recreation will want to tune into the crafty reality show Making It starring Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler - July 31 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- Explore the world without leaving your couch with the new documentary series Outback and Wonders of Mexico premiering - August 1 @ 8:00 p.m. on PBS
- NFL pre-season action begins - August 2 @ 8:00 p.m. on NBC
CANADIAN CORNER: Ad-Supported Roku Channel Now in Canada
The free ad-supported Roku Channel is coming to Roku streaming devices in Canada.
Over the coming weeks, Roku owners can expect to see the new channel which provides hit movies, documentaries, and TV series.
For a list of what's on the Roku Channel now, visit the Roku website.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!