Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
It's the most wonderful time of the year for bargain hunters! Check out all of the hot Black Friday discounts for cord cutters in our deals section.
We also have a Q&A on whether broadcasters are purposefully sabotaging OTA signals, short cuts, must-see TV, and more!
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
Q&A > Are Broadcasters Messing With OTA Signals On Purpose?
This week's question comes from Rick who says, "My NBC affiliate has come in fine for years with my antenna, but out of nowhere yesterday it became unwatchable just as I was about to watch the Thanksgiving Day parade. Am I crazy to think that broadcasters are purposefully messing up OTA signals to get us to pay for their apps?"
Rick probably should have saved the tin foil for the Thanksgiving leftovers instead of making a hat. While ill-timed reception issues are obviously frustrating and could understandably lead to these kinds of conspiracy theories, there's just no truth to this one.
There are no business, financial, or tactical advantages for a broadcaster to do such a thing. They make a LOT of money from their local stations and their FCC licenses depend on them keeping antenna channels on the air.
If there was an issue on the broadcaster's side, it was likely a temporary technical glitch. These are usually noted on their websites and social media properties. If the issue doesn't resolve itself, even after running a fresh channel scan, the problem may be a new source of interference or a breakdown in your antenna setup.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
DEALS > Tablo's Black Friday Sales Are All LIVE & More
This week's deals on cord cutting gear and services include:
SHORT CUTS > YouTube TV Customers Suing Disney Over Price Hikes, & More
'Short Cuts' delivers all the cord-cutting news you need to know about, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Tune in to FIFA World Cup 2022 soccer games all week long - on FOX/CTV
- Catch back-to-back family fun with Mickey Saves Christmas followed by The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration - November 27th starting @ 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- The Great Christmas Light Fight returns for its 10th season - November 28th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Don't miss Love Actually: 20 Years Later — A Diane Sawyer/ABC News Special - November 29th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Enjoy the new animated special Reindeer in Here - November 29th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- Check out the 90th Annual Christmas in Rockefeller Center special - November 30th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Don't miss Dolly Parton's Mountain Magic Christmas special - December 1st @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- Enjoy the CMA Country Christmas special - December 1st @ 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING and TV SHOWS > GENRE > SPECIAL tabs on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.