Happy Friday cord cutters!
We're still testing out a new shorter version of Cord Cutting This Week that packs what you love about the newsletter in a quick-to-consume format. Let us know what you think!
This week we've got a Q&A about capturing low-numbered OTA TV channels, short cuts, and more!
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
Q&A > Do You Have Tips for Capturing Low-Numbered TV Channels?
This week's question comes from Nicole who asks, "While I pray for a Locast resurrection I was wondering if you might have any tips on capturing low number channels with my Mohu antenna?"
Things are looking even more grim for Locast given the permanent injunction issued by the court yesterday, but we may be able to give Nicole a hand getting her local FOX station and its subchannels.
A lot of folks who are new to Over-the-Air TV may not realize that some antennas, particularly the flat indoor ones, aren't always designed to pick up physical or 'real' channels 2-13 which are on the VHF spectrum versus the more common UHF spectrum.
(To make it even more confusing, the channel’s physical or 'real' broadcast frequency is not always reflected by the channel number you see.)
If you're in a similar boat to Nicole where you have one or two channels you're just not able to get, check the station's Wikipedia page and look to see if it is indeed broadcast on the VHF spectrum. If so, try out a different antenna that supports both VHF and UHF TV frequencies and ensure it's installed in an optimal location.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS > Comcast Wants to Sell You a Smart TV, & More
'Short Cuts' delivers all the cord-cutting news and deals you need to know about, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Catch the special Soul of a Nation Presents: Corazon de America — Celebrating Hispanic Culture - September 17th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Tune into the 73rd Emmy Awards hosted by Cedric the Entertainer - September 19th @ 8:00 p.m. on CBS/CTV
- Enjoy the newest Ken Burns documentary series focusing on the life of Muhammad Ali - September 19th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on PBSA
- Drama 911 returns for its 4th season - September 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX/Global
- Followed by the dramedy The Big Leap - September 20th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX (10 p.m. on CTV)
- Dancing with the Stars returns for its 30th season - September 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CityTV
- Followed by the Time 100 special - September 20th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Catch the season 4 premiere of The Neighborhood - September 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS
- Followed by season 3 of Bob Hearts Abishola - September 20th @ 8:30 p.m. ET on CBS/CTV
- Season 19 of NCIS - September 20th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- And the premiere of NCIS: Hawai'i - September 20th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- The Voice returns for season 21 - September 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV2
- Followed by the new drama Ordinary Joe - September 20th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- FBI, FBI: Most Wanted, and FBI: International return and premiere - September 21st starting @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- The Resident returns for its 5th season - September 21st @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CTV
- Followed by the premiere of the drama Our Kind of People - September 21st @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CTV
- Catch the season 4 premiere of New Amsterdam - September 21st @ 10:00 p.m. on NBC (7:00 p.m. on Global)
- Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, & Chicago P.D. all return - September 22nd starting @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- The Goldbergs, The Wonder Years (reboot premiere), The Conners, Home Economics, & A Million Little Things all return - September 22nd starting @ 8:00 p.m. on ABC/CTV
- The Masked Singer returns for season 6 - September 22nd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CTV
- Followed by the premiere of the new reality show Alter Ego - September 22nd @ 10:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CTV
- Survivor returns for its 41st season - September 22nd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Organized Crime both return - September 23rd starting @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- Filmed before he passed, catch the special Kenny Rogers: All in for the Gambler - September 23rd @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.