Happy Friday cord cutters!
We're still testing out a new shorter version of Cord Cutting This Week that packs what you love about the newsletter in a quick-to-consume format. Let us know what you think!
This week we've got a Q&A about repetitive ads on streaming TV, short cuts, deals, and more!
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
Q&A > How Can I Stop Repetitive Streaming Ads?
This week's question comes from Rielle who says, "I'm saving a lot of money since cutting the cord but the repetitive ads on streaming TV are driving me CRAZY! Is there a way to tell them to stop showing me the same ad over and over?"
Because streaming TV advertising is all digital, advertisers can more effectively target you based on your gender, location, viewing history, and interests.
But depending on the ads available, the cost for ad space on that app, and many other factors you could wind up seeing the same ads frequently. The industry is trying to improve this, but there's still a lot of work to be done.
Repetitive ads can be especially annoying if you share streaming accounts/profiles since the advertiser profile for your account or device can get 'polluted' with incorrect data. For example, a teenaged granddaughter comes to visit her 70-year-old grandfather and binges a bunch of episodes of Riverdale which could lead to him being bombarded with ads for tampons on his Roku device. The same thing can happen to a childless couple after shopping online for a baby gift for a friend.
If this is the case, resetting the advertising ID on your streaming device or Smart TV can help. Some streaming services also have settings that can help you receive more relevant ads.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
DEALS > Fall for Savings on Refurbished Tablo OTA DVRs, & More
This week's deals on cord cutting gear and services include:
SHORT CUTS > Amazon Fire TV 4K MAX Stick Now Available & More
'Short Cuts' delivers all the cord-cutting news you need to know about, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Nancy Drew returns for its 3rd season - October 8th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Shark Tank is back for its 13th season - October 8th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CTV
- Tune in to season 10 of Whose Line Is It Anyway? - October 9th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Catch season 2 of World's Funniest Animals - October 9th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Kim Kardashian hosts and Halsey performs on Saturday Night Live - October 9th @ 11:30 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
- Canadians can tune into Bachelor in Paradise Canada - October 10th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CityTV
- Check out the reboot of the 90's competition series Legends of the Hidden Temple - October 10th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Followed by the murder-mystery competition Killer Camp - October 10th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- The Equalizer, NCIS: Los Angeles, and SEAL Team all return - October 10th starting @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman return - October 13th starting @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Legacies returns for its 4th season - October 14th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Tune in to season 2 of B Positive - October 14th @ 9:30 p.m. ET on CBS (7:00 p.m. on CTV)
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.