Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we have a Q&A on recording streaming TV, deals, short cuts, must-see TV, and more!
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
Q&A > Why Can't I Record Streaming TV On My Tablo DVR?
This week's question comes from Robert who says, "I’m perplexed about why I can only use my Tablo for Over-the-Air channels. Why can’t I use the DVR to record other streaming content?"
We often get asked whether Over-the-Air DVRs like Tablo can record content from streaming TV. Unfortunately, legal and technical restrictions prevent ANY commercial hardware DVR from recording streaming content.
All streaming TV providers operate within license agreements with the owners of the content they show. These contracts define how that content can be used, including how/when/if it can be recorded and played back.
The good news is that many streaming services either offer programs on-demand (and therefore recording isn't required) or offer a cloud-based recording option. By saving and managing 'recordings' on the streaming service's servers, a company can ensure licensing agreements are followed, that only current subscribers can access those shows, and that they're accessed only on approved devices.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
DEALS > Save on Refurbished Tablo DVRs & More
This week's deals on cord cutting gear and services include:
SHORT CUTS > Apple to Stream MLS Soccer, & More
'Short Cuts' delivers all the cord-cutting news you need to know about, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Catch Soul of a Nation Presents: Sound of Freedom - a Juneteenth Celebration - June 17th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Tune in to the special Watergate: High Crimes in the White House - June 17th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS (June 18th @ 3:30 p.m. on Global)
- Catch two back-to-back specials The Black Pack: Excellence and Brandon Leake: A Family Affair - June 19th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- See the premiere of the thriller series Hotel Portofino - June 19th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Followed by season 8 of Endeavour on Masterpiece - June 19th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- See Exclusively Elvis: A Special Edition of 20/20 - June 21st @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Catch season 3 of Wellington Paranormal - June 22nd @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Tune in to the new documentary miniseries Planet California - June 22nd @ 10:00 p.m. on PBS
- Watch the 2022 NBA Draft live - June 23rd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.