Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we've got a Q&A on connecting a Smart TV to your router when it's at the opposite end of the house, hot deals, short cuts, must-see TV, and more!
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
Q&A > How Can I Hardwire My Smart TV When It's Far From My Router?
This week's question comes from Andrew who says, "The Smart TV in our basement is at the complete opposite end of the house from our router and we sometimes struggle to stream content over the Wi-Fi. Is there a way to connect it directly to the router without fishing an Ethernet cable through the walls?"
Andrew's problem is fairly common for folks who primarily watch TV in basement family rooms. There are several possible reasons — poor Wi-Fi coverage from your router, interference, or even your home's building materials blocking signals — can cause video to buffer when being streamed.
The simplest fix is to connect your viewing device — in this case, a Smart TV — directly to your router with an Ethernet cable. But as Andrew points out, that's not always as simple as it sounds.
And that's why Powerline Ethernet Adapters exist! Simply plug one adapter into a power outlet near your router and one near your TV. Once connected, they'll use your home's electrical system to deliver data from your router to any device with an Ethernet port. (Make sure to check that your Smart TV or streaming device has one since some don't.)
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
DEALS > Save on New and Refurbished Tablo OTA DVRs & More
This week's deals on cord cutting gear and services include:
SHORT CUTS > Amazon Now Owns James Bond & More
'Short Cuts' delivers all the cord-cutting news you need to know about, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
Along with college basketball including March Madness, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Enjoy the special An Audience With Adele - March 20th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- Season 11 of Call The Midwife premieres - March 20th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Followed by season 2 of Sandition on Masterpiece - March 20th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- And the premiere of the crime drama Before We Die - March 20th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Catch the dance special Step Into...The Movies With Derek and Julianne Hough - March 20th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Enjoy the premiere of the 'Eurovision'-style American Song Contest - March 21st @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CHCH
- Tune in to the iHeartRadio Music Awards 2022 - March 22nd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- Canadians can check out the premiere of Canada's Got Talent - March 22nd @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CityTV
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.