Happy Friday cord cutters!
This week we're talking about how Netflix is testing a way to prevent password sharing.
Also: Q&A on indoor TV antenna options, short cuts, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS > Netflix Testing Password Sharing Prevention Program
Q&A > Are There Super Powerful Indoor Antennas?
This week's question comes from Corinne who asks, "Are there super powerful indoor TV antennas? The flat ones I've tried don't work well and my HOA says I can't put one on the roof."
First of all, your Home Owner's Association or landlord cannot prevent you from putting up an outdoor TV antenna in an 'exclusive use' area like a private balcony, based on an FCC law.
That being said, there are a few options Corinne can look at if she wants to avoid making waves with the HOA:
- Keep Trying Indoors - If you live 30 miles or less away from your local broadcast towers, a regular indoor antenna should do the job as long as it's placed in a window facing those towers.
- Try a Low-Key Spot Outside - A balcony or patio can be an excellent spot for a smaller outdoor antenna. Your neighbors and HOA may not even notice it!
- Go Big Inside - Install an antenna in your attic (as long as you don't have a radiant heat barrier or a metal roof), or if you're not fussy about décor, simply prop an outdoor antenna up in the corner of a room.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS > Tablo DUALHDMI on Amazon, & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Catch The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards - March 14th @ 7:00 p.m. ET on CBS/CityTV
- Crime drama Bulletrpoof is back for season 3 - March 15th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- America's Most Wanted returns with new host Elizabeth Vargas - March 15th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- Home and garden show Holmes Family Effect comes to the US - March 16th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- Enjoy the special A Grammy Salute to the Sounds of Change - March 17th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
CANADIAN CORNER > Rogers Expands Low-Cost Internet Program
Rogers has expanded access to its low-cost internet program in Ontario, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland.
Those who qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement for seniors, disability support, or income support like Ontario Works in those provinces, are also eligible to receive broadband internet for just $9.99/month.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.