Happy Friday cord cutters!
This week we're talking about whether Android TV is gaining market share over Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
Also: Q&A on bringing outdoor antenna signals inside, short cuts including TONS of deals, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS > Is Android TV Gaining on Roku and Fire TV?
Some number crunching by the folks at The Streamable seems to indicate the Android TV platform is growing at a faster clip than other streaming platforms.
The report looked at download statistics for the YouTube channel on Android TV devices which shows a number double what Google reported this time last year and 20 million more over just the last month. Meanwhile, Roku and Fire TV both say they have around 50 million active users.
While downloads of a single app don't necessarily tell the whole story, the proliferation of low-cost Android TV devices and Roku's ongoing spat with Google over YouTubeTV could indeed be driving adoption faster than anyone expected.
Q&A > How Can I Avoid Drilling a Hole to Place My Antenna Outside?
This week's question comes from Linda who says, "I know I'll get better reception if I put my TV antenna outside, but I don't want to drill through the side of my house. Is there a workaround?"
If you aren't confident with a power drill or would just rather not put a hole in your wall, there's a good alternative that will help you bring the coaxial cable from your outdoor TV antenna inside.
This week on his YouTube channel, Tyler the Antenna Man reviewed two different models of flat coaxial cable connectors. These antenna accessories allow you to pass your antenna's coaxial cable through a closed window or patio door.
Adding a flat coaxial connector into your Over-the-Air antenna setup can reduce your overall signal strength slightly, but hopefully being able to place your antenna in a better location will make up for it!
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS > Hot Deals on Cord Cutting Gear & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
- Storage-included Tablo OTA DVRs — the Tablo DUAL 128GB and Tablo QUAD 1TB — are ready to enjoy right out of the box and are now on sale until Father’s Day. Use the code SHIPFREE at checkout to save even more!
- Check out our dads & grads gift guide for even more hot deals on cord cutting gear including 20% off Antennas Direct antennas, $30 off Roku Ultra, and an Amazon Fire TV Smart TV for just $99.99!
- Sinclair is reportedly aiming for a $23/month price point for its direct-to-consumer regional sports streaming service.
- Know someone who's so into holiday movies they'd watch them when it's 80+ degrees outside? Tell them that free streaming service Tubi is adding a bunch of Christmas and holiday classics this month.
- Comcast has stopped funding the operation of Hulu as it tries to force Disney to buy its 30% stake in the streaming service.
- Roku has decided to honor the previously announced renewal of Die Hart, making it the first former Quibi show to secure a second season since Roku purchased the former streaming service's content. We'll see if other shows that were renewed by Quibi before its shutdown — like Murder House Flip and Punk'd — will also come back under Roku's watch.
- Finally, if you have a Tablo OTA DVR don't forget to check your inbox for the link to our bi-annual customer survey. Let us know how we can make Tablo more awesome for you!
WHAT'S ON > Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots of great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Tune in to the new drama The Republic of Sarah - June 14th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW (10 p.m. on CityTV)
- Catch the premiere of The Celebrity Dating Game - June 14th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CTV
- Holey Moley returns for season 3 - June 17th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CTV
- Followed by the season 2 premiere of The Hustler - June 17th @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING tab on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record.
CANADIAN CORNER > Save $50 Off Apple TV 4K
Now's the time to get an Apple TV. Amazon.ca is selling both the 32GB and 64GB models for $50 off.
And yes, this is the latest version with the much improved remote.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.