Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we're talking about the lawsuit broadcasters have brought against the non-profit streaming service Locast, and what this means for cord cutters seeking to watch local stations over the internet.
Also: How to check your WiFi signal quality on your streaming device, short cuts, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Broadcasters Sue Locast Streaming Service
HOW TO: Check & Improve Your Streamer's WiFi Signal Quality
In order to be able binge your favorite TV shows without pauses or slowdowns – aka buffering – cord cutters need to make sure their streaming TV setup is operating at peak performance.
Thankfully, the most popular streaming TV devices on the market — Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Apple TV — all have built-in tools to tell you whether your WiFi signal is strong enough.
Head over to the Tablo blog to learn how to check the WiFi signal strength on your streaming media device, and how to fix your network if the results are less than favorable.
SHORT CUTS: Re-Transmission Fees Up 600%, Tablo DVR Deal & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord-cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As always, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Country fans won't want to miss the CMA Fest special - August 4th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Reality show Bachelor in Paradise returns for season 6 - August 5th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CityTV
- Revisit one of the seminal events of the 60s in the American Experience documentary Woodstock: Three Days That Defined A Generation - August 6th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- More of a 90s kid? Check out the premiere of BH90210, the 'meta-reboot' of the drama Beverly Hills 90210 - August 7th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX/Global
- Originally aired on Sky in the UK, American viewers can enjoy the cop comedy Bulletproof - August 7th @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- That's followed by the premiere of the comedy game show Hypnotize Me - August 7th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Anthology series Two Sentence Horror Stories premieres - August 8th @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING filter on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record!
CANADIAN CORNER: CRTC Allows Bell to Shut Down OTA Transmitters
This week the CRTC gave the OK to Bell to shut down 28 Over-the-Air TV towers starting in May 2020.
Because the designated towers are acting as repeaters for stations in more populated cities and not generating their own local content, the CRTC and the broadcaster have agreed that continued operation is not a requirement of Bell's broadcast license.
Still, the affected stations serve an area with over 760,000 households. While Bell argues that most of these folks watch via pay-TV subscriptions, it's still sad to see any erosion of OTA TV when access to free TV signals is already lacking outside of major metropolitan areas.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!