Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we'll be talking about cord cutting savings, crazy cable fees, this week's must-see TV including The Daytona 500 and The Oscars and much more...
OK... now let's get to it!
How to Watch The Oscars as a Cord Cutter
Hollywood's biggest night is this Sunday and the cord cutting gurus at Cut Cable Today have a great overview of how to watch the red carpet and Academy Awards ceremony without an expensive cable subscription.
Still want to watch live-ish but hate the commercials and long-winded speeches? Check out the full post for a tip on how to use your Tablo to watch only the best parts of the show in a fraction of the time.
How to Watch The Daytona 500 as a Cord Cutter
More into NASCAR than what designer dress a celebrity is wearing? Well you're in luck because the folks at Cut Cable Today have also outlined how cord cutters can enjoy Sunday's Daytona 500 race.
Get the full details on the Tablo blog.
Today in Crazy Comcast Cable Fees
In one of many desperate attempts to keep customers from cutting the cord on cable, Comcast announced they're launching a new app that would let subscribers watch cable content on Roku.
At first blush, it does sound better better than paying $10/month to rent a cable set-top-box, but they always get you with the fine print... For the privilege watching content they already pay for, on a Roku device they already own, Comcast wants to charge users $7.45/month.
Um, thanks but no thanks. Buh-bye.
Cord Cutting Pays Off
This week Luke over at Cord Cutters News reported he's saved over $8,000 since cutting the cord on cable. After paying off a bit of debt, the leftover funds have been all gravy so he took his family to Disney World! We know of Tablo customers who've put their cord cutting savings towards their kids' college funds, vacations, and even a car!
If you've already cut the cord, tell us on Twitter or Facebook how much you've saved so far and what you've done with the extra cash in your pocket.
This Week's Must-See OTA TV
Including NASCAR and The Oscars, as usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
- Documentary miniseries Africa's Great Civilizations debuts - February 27 @ 9 p.m. ET on PBS
- The Voice (including Gwen Stefani) is back for season 12 - February 27 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- A prequel to the movie franchise, Taken premieres - February 27 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
- Miniseries When We Rise focusing on the history of the gay rights movement premieres - February 27 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Dick Wolf's Windy City empire expands with Chicago Justice premiering - March 1 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
What's Coming & Going from Netflix in March
A new month means new content on Netflix to supplement all of the great OTA TV you can watch with an antenna. Here's our picks:
See a full list of new US Netflix shows here and a full list of Canadian shows here.
- Iron Fist as takes on Madam Gao (who you may remember from Daredevil) in the latest Marvel action hero series starting March 17
- Love dinosaurs? Check out the original Jurassic Park trilogy starting March 1st, or for the kiddos Dinotrux is back for season 4 starting March 31st
- Prefer something a bit more edgy? The world's worst spy turns private eye in Archer Season 7 starting March 28th and The Trailer Park Boys get up to their usual hi-jinx in Season 11 on March 31st
- And these classic movies are worth a watch: the original teen witches of The Craft, the original band mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap, and wacky Wes Anderson Jacques Cousteau-inspired The Life Aquatic with Steve Zizzou
Canadian Corner: CBC to Air Canadian Bake-Off Show
The CBC is planning to produce a reality baking TV show called The Great Canadian Baking Show which will air this fall. The program is based on the popularity of The Great British Bake-Off which the broadcaster will air over the summer.
If you or someone you know is an awesome amateur baker, it's not too late to apply to be on the show!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!