Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
Thanks so much to those who participated in last week's annual reader survey!
We appreciate all of your kind words, constructive feedback, and especially the request from one reader to 'add screaming goats'. If you're that person, or you just like goats too, click here.
Anywho, we spend hours each week making this newsletter for YOU, so if there's something you're wondering about or that you want to see, just let us know!
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... including new stats that show Roku atop the streaming TV device market.
Also: Q&A on the best time of year to buy cord cutting gear, short cuts, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Roku Reigns Supreme in Streaming Platform War
Are you all-in on Roku too, or are you loyal to a different brand? Tell us why on Twitter or Facebook.
Q&A: What's the Best Time of Year to Buy Cord Cutting Gear?
Send us your most pressing cord cutting questions via email so we can answer them in an upcoming issue.
Today's question comes from Dave who says, "I know the best deals on TVs happen in December or January, but is there a 'best time to buy' streaming TV devices like Roku or Fire TV?"
All cord cutters love a great deal! While streaming device manufacturers have special sales during the holiday period too, there are a few other times of year you can save big, including:
- Amazon Prime Day - If you're an Amazon Prime member, wait till mid-July to buy an Amazon Fire TV device since they're often heavily discounted. While you may also be able to score a Prime Day discount on a Roku, you'll have to look elsewhere for deals on Android or Apple gear in July.
- Early Fall - New model announcements for streaming devices often happen in the September/October time frame, so you may be able to catch a deal on the previous generation model from all vendors in the fall. But be aware that the newer version may still be a better long-term value.
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday - Just like other gadgets, you'll often see compelling deals on streaming devices during the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. These deals often match or come close to holiday pricing.
When you're evaluating deals on streaming TV devices, keep these things in mind:
One last tip... If you're ever unsure about a deal, try checking a tool like CamelCamelCamel which shows the price history on any given product.
Not only will you see the highest, lowest, and average price, but also the times when a sale is most likely to happen based on historical data. It'll even let you set email alerts for price drops!
Clearance or sale models may be slower, lack features, or not include advanced remotes with helpful TV power and volume buttons. However, the difference between the 'new' and 'old' model can be insignificant, like in the case of the Roku Ultra 2017 vs. 2018 which included a slightly different type of headphone accessory, so do your homework!
- Refurbished/Open Box
You can save a bundle on factory refurbished or open-box models, but check the vendor's return and warranty policies before buying.
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS: Warner to Reboot TGIF, Hot Deals & More
Most weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
Along with the FIFA Women's World Cup finals, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Reality TV fans will want to check out Love Island, based on a popular dating show in the UK - July 9 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS/CTV
- Like stand-up comedy more? Try the variety show Bring the Funny - July 9 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Don't miss The 2019 Espys celebrating the best in sports - July 10 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Canadians can enjoy season 9 of The Great British Baking Show - July 10 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBC
- Fantasy series The Outpost returns for season 2 - July 11 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING filter on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record!
CANADIAN CORNER: Bell Brings CTV App to Apple TV
Bell's ad-supported CTV app — which includes on-demand new and 'throwback' TV and movies — is now available on Apple TV.
However, cord cutters shouldn't be surprised it wasn't designed with them in mind. Access to the content requires a cable or satellite provider login. If you can borrow a login from a friend or family member, check it out!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!