Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
Today we've got details on the brand new advanced recording features coming to Tablo OTA DVRs.
We've also featuring a new podcast for cord cutters (and an interview with our CEO), what's new on Netflix, a deal on streaming movie rentals, this week's must-see shows and more!
As always, if someone you know is interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: New Advanced Recording Features Coming to Tablo OTA DVRs
Along with significant performance improvements, a new Tablo firmware release is adding some top customer-requested recording management features including:
- Adjust Start/Stop Time - Start recordings up to 10 mins early and end as much as 3 hours after the scheduled program time
- Keep X Recordings - Retain all episodes or only a select number of airings
- Recording Channel Selector - Choose which channel to record from if multiple channels are airing your favorite program
Check out the Tablo blog for a full overview of these hot new features!
NEWS: Into Podcasts? Check Out Consumed
If you're a cord cutter and enjoy listening to podcasts, you should subscribe to Consumed with Scott Porch which is a brand new show available on all your favorite podcast apps.
(Not sure what a podcast is? Think of them as anytime, anywhere radio shows on any topic you can imagine.)
For those who are down with the podcast thing, Consumed is an interview show about new TV shows, movies, and more — and the people behind it. The host Scott Porch is one of the main writers for Decider - a news site focused on helping you discover the best streaming TV content, so this is a great way for cord cutters to learn about new shows and ways to watch them.
It just so happens that this week's episode features an interview with Nuvyyo (the makers of Tablo) CEO Grant Hall, so make sure to check it out.
DEALS: Amazon Movie Rental Sale
January is a great time for a family movie night.
Even better, Amazon has a deal on right now for $.50 digital rentals of many popular movies including Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Rogue One and more.
Each rental is good for 30 days, so even if you're busy this weekend there's plenty of time to enjoy this deal!
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix in February
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, here are our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in February.
- All the American Pie, 'Oceans' (11, 12, & 13), Meet the Parents/Fockers and Kill Bill movies are now available for those that like to binge-watch series
- Or you can check out the mobster classic Goodfellas
- Much hyped Netflix original sci-fi thriller Altered Carbon premieres
- As does the comedy special Standup for Drummers from SNL and Portlandia alum Fred Armisen
- And the next iteration of David Letterman's Netflix talk special My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with George Clooney
- If you loved the pop culture recap show The Soup when you had cable, it's back now as The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale (and you don't even need cable to watch it)
- For the kids, there's Ella Enchanted and The Emoji Movie
- Canadians can also enjoy the 6th and final season of The Mindy Project, season 1 of 24: Legacy, and Oscar winning film Django Unchained
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
Along with The Pro Bowl, this week there's lots more great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna including:
- See performances from Patti LuPone, Lady Gaga, Little Big Town, Pink, and Childish Gambino on The 60th Annual Grammy Awards hosted by James Corden - January 28 @ 7:30 p.m. ET on CBS/CityTV
- Enjoy the 2018 NFL Pro Bowl from Orlando - January 28 @ 2:50 p.m. ET on ABC
- Check out the BBC nature series Animals With Cameras - January 31 @ 8:00 p.m. on PBS
- Check out comedian Patton Oswalt and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia alum Glenn Howerton in the new comedy series A.P. Bio - February 1 @ 9:30 p.m. on NBC/Global
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
CANADIAN CORNER: Crave TV App Comes to Amazon Fire TV
Late last year Amazon began selling the Amazon Fire TV 'basic' streaming sticks in Canada, and this week Crave TV has added support for those devices.
Canadians with Fire TV devices purchased in the US including sticks, boxes, and Smart TVs will have to wait to watch content like The Chi, Star Trek Discovery and more though, as they have not been enabled to receive the app.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!