Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
As peak holiday season approaches, this week we've got the how-to on watching streaming TV while you're away from home.
We've also got some hot gear deals, the latest updates on the progress of the cord cutting revolution, what's new on Netflix, this week's must-see OTA TV and more!
As always, if someone you know is interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
HOW TO: Watch Streaming TV on Vacation
One of the hazards of cord cutting is finding yourself on vacation with a few hours to kill before bedtime and nothing to watch but *shudder* HOTEL CABLE TV.
However, if you've got WiFi (or even a good cellular data package) you can still enjoy many of your favorite cord cutting services and apps while on the road - with some caveats...
TechHive has a good overview of the device and regional restrictions on the major TV streaming services. Using your streaming TV subscription logins for a network's 'TV Everywhere' app (where applicable) can help circumvent some of these, but the largest barrier is (as usual) live, local TV.
Streaming services that do carry local broadcasts often will show you locals from the place you're traveling in, not your 'home' stations. And that's only if they're available, or you're still in the United States.
If you're leaving the country, or just want to catch your hometown news and sports highlights on the road, the least restrictive way to do that is with a Tablo OTA DVR and our out-of-home streaming service called Tablo Connect. This subscription-only feature works on most supported devices anywhere in the world and gives you the same Tablo experience you'd get in your home.
Where's the most exotic place you've watched streaming TV from? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook!
NEWS: Cord Cutting is Crushing Pay TV
The cord cutting revolution is continuing to grow with the biggest cable TV companies losing 235,000 customers over the last quarter, which is WAY up from the 100,000 who cut the cord in the same quarter last year.
In order to quell investor fears, pay TV operators like DirectTV and Dish are pointing to the growth of their streaming TV services as reasons to stay optimistic... However, these services are discounted so heavily they're barely breaking even (if at all).
And it seems like Wall Street is catching on to this bait-and-switch. Analysts are calling for Sony to shut down PlayStation Vue because of its lack of profitability and popularity. And this week stock in streaming behemoth Netflix surpassed Comcast, and a day later, Disney, to become the most valuable publicly traded media company in the world.
DEALS: Great Prices on TCL TVs, Roku Streamers, Tablo & More
- Today's your last chance to save $10-$15 off the Roku Streaming Stick, Streaming Stick+, and Roku Ultra. (Canadians can also save $10-$20!)
- Would rather go with a brand new Smart TV? One of the best deals in Best Buy's Memorial Day sale is TCL's 65" 4K Roku-powered television for just $630
- And if you're in the market for an Over-the-Air DVR, both the Tablo DUAL 64GB and Tablo 4-Tuner are on sale (via most retailers)
- Need a hard drive for that Tablo? This WD Elements Portable 3TB drive is $27 off
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix in June
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, check out our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in June:
- The kiddos will love the classic 101 Dalmatians
- Missed it in theaters, or want to gear up for Solo? Check out Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- In more of a superhero mood? There's Thor: Ragnarok and season 2 of Luke Cage
- Those who are in hockey withdrawal after the end of the season can watch Miracle
- Don't miss Academy Award Best Picture winner The King's Speech
- Canadians can also see some great movies including Notting Hill, Sense & Sensibility, Golden Globe Best Picture winner Lady Bird, and the recent Ghostbusters reboot
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
Along with the NHL Playoffs, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna including:
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
- Five-part documentary series Phenoms premieres, focusing on pro soccer stars and their quest to represent their countries at the FIFA World Cup - May 25 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- In the new miniseries My Last Days people with terminal illnesses talk about making big impacts in the world with the time they have left - May 25 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
- The Bachelorette returns for its 14th season - May 28 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CityTV
- Season 13 of America's Got Talent premieres - May 29 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CityTV
- Jamie Foxx returns as host of season 2 of the game show Beat Shazam - May 29 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CityTV
- Followed by the 2nd season of dating show reboot Love Connection - May 29 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CityTV
- Reality dance competition World of Dance also returns for season 2 - May 29 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- Guilty pleasure summer show American Ninja Warrior is also back - May 30 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/CTV
- Season 15 of Master Chef premieres - May 30 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX/CTV
- Sci-fi drama series Reverie premieres - May 30 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
CANADIAN CORNER: Price Hike Coming for Crave TV
This week subscribers of Bell-owned Crave TV received notice the streaming service's monthly fee is rising from $7.99 to $9.99. This increase puts the service's price within $1 of Netflix's comparable 'standard' plan, for a fraction of the content.
Still, since Bell owns the rights to so much premium content - especially HBO and Showtime programming - it may still be worth it for Canadian cord cutters.
Do you subscribe to Crave TV? If so, will you be canceling because of this price hike, or do you think Crave provides enough value to warrant an extra $2/month? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!