Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we're talking about cord cutting going mainstream, so prepare for Grandma to ask for a Netflix subscription for her birthday.
We're also talking about mesh WiFi, tips for boosting the number of OTA channels you get, and this week's must-see TV!
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Netflix Now More Popular Than Cable TV
You know cord cutting is going mainstream when the number of Netflix subscribers surpasses the number of cable TV subscribers in the United States. (And things are looking to go that way in Canada too.) The streaming service seems to be the defacto cord cutting 'gateway drug' that hooks consumers on cable alternatives.
Did you introduce streaming TV or cord cutting to someone in your life this year who was new to the entire concept? Tell us about how it went on Twitter or Facebook!
GEAR: Mesh WiFi Having a 'Moment'
As we've previously mentioned, a solid home network is one of the keys to cord cutting success. One of the hottest trends in connecting your collection of gadgets to the web is 'mesh' technology.
Mesh WiFi blankets your home in WiFi signals using multiple hubs instead of relying on a single router, which can eliminate WiFi dead spots, leading to buffering and connection problems. Google, Samsung, TP-Link and Linksys have all launched mesh WiFi gear and there are also startups in the space like Eero which launched their 2nd generation products this week.
We're planning on a more in-depth blog post on this tech in the coming months, so if you've jumped on the mesh WiFi bandwagon send us a note on Twitter or Facebook. Let us know how it's going and what problems it solved for you and we might include your feedback in the story!
HOW TO: Access OTA Signals from Multiple Directions
If you live in a densely populated area, you might be lucky enough to access Over-the-Air TV from multiple markets. This week on the Tablo blog, we covered which OTA antenna setups to choose (and which to avoid) to help you maximize the number of OTA TV channels you can watch.
Get the full scoop on the Tablo blog!
NEWS: NBC & Megyn Kelly Under Fire Over Interview to Air Sunday
NBC is facing criticism for booking controversial right-wing pundit Alex Jones on its new Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly news magazine. Despite advertisers like JP Morgan Chase pulling support for the show, the broadcaster and host Megyn Kelly have both defended the choice.
The interview is still slated to air this Sunday at 7:00 p.m. ET on NBC.
DEALS: Sideclick Remote for Amazon Fire TV & More
If you're looking for a gift for the dad or grad in your life, check out one of these deals:
- Control your TV AND your streaming device with a Sideclick remote! Amazon Fire TV compatible Sideclicks are $5 off right now at Best Buy and Amazon, but they're also available for Roku, Apple TV and more
- Cut living room clutter with a Roku mounting system - 40% off on Amazon
- Save 35% on refurbished 2-Tuner Tablo OTA DVRs on the Tablo web store in the US and Canada
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
- Catch 2nd, 3rd and final round action in Golf's US Open - starting June 16 @ 6:00 p.m. on FOX
- The Great British Baking Show is back for it's fourth season - June 16 @ 9:00 p.m. on PBS
- Historical drama My Mother And Other Strangers starring Mad Men's Aaron Staton premieres, followed by period mystery Grantchester returning for its third season - June 18 starting @ 8:00 p.m. on PBS
- Two new nature series Big Pacific and Great Yellowstone Thaw premiere - June 21 starting @ 8:00 p.m. on PBS
- Reality competition Little Big Shots is back but this time the contestants are talented seniors - June 21 @ 8:00 p.m. on NBC/CityTV
- Singer Rita Ora hosts and Emma Bunton, Nick Carter and Timbaland act as coaches on new reality competition Boy Band - premiering June 22 @ 8:00 p.m. on ABC
- 70's game show The Gong Show is back, hosted by an in-character Mike Myers and rotating celebrity guests - June 22 @ 10:00 p.m. on ABC/CityTV
- Hollywood Game Night is back for its fifth season with host Jane Lynch - starting June 22 @ 8:00 p.m. on NBC/CTV
- Hospital drama The Night Shift returns for its fourth season - starting June 22 @ 10:00 p.m. on NBC/Global
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
CANADIAN CORNER: Rumors of a 'Netflix Tax' Quickly Quashed by PM
This week a parliamentary committee recommended the government impose a 5% tax on high speed internet services in an effort to drum up revenue to support the Canadian Media Fund. The fund already receives cash from cable bills to finance the production of Canadian content, but with more Canadians cutting cable in favor of streaming, the fund is seeking other revenue sources.
Thankfully the Prime Minister and the Minister of Heritage were quick to say the proposed 5% tax "...is not an idea we are taking on."
Do you think taxpayers should be funding the creation of Canadian content? Tell us on Twitter or Facebook!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!