Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we're talking about a new way to watch Over-the-Air TV - Tablo ENGINE - which is a DVR app for Android TV devices starting with the Nvidia SHIELD. Keep reading for details...
We've also got not one but TWO awesome giveaways on the go, streaming picks for July, and as always this week's must-see TV!
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Tablo ENGINE and Tablo TUNER Now Available
This week we launched the Tablo ENGINE OTA DVR app and the companion Tablo TUNER dual-tuner USB antenna adapter which are now ready to help you transform your NVIDIA SHIELD set-top-box into an OTA DVR!
If you prefer a DVR that connects to your TV via HDMI and that supports 5.1 Surround Sound, this is the Tablo solution for you!
Get the full scoop - including a limited-time offer for 6 months of free guide data - on the Tablo blog, or check out the coverage from Variety, Engadget, TechCrunch and more on our press page.
ENTER TO WIN: National Cut the Cord Day Prize Pack
National Cut the Cord Day is July 7th. To celebrate we've teamed up with the lovely people at TCL - the fastest growing TV manufacturer in the US - to give away an amazing prize pack including:
- A 55" TCL Roku TV with 4K and HDR technology so you can enjoy all of your favorite streaming channels and OTA TV on your big screen
- A Winegard FlatWave Micro indoor OTA antenna so you can access all your local broadcast TV channels
- A brand NEW Tablo DUAL OTA DVR so you can discover, record and stream all of the amazing FREE TV you can get with your new antenna
GEAR: Mohu Launches new 65 Mile VHF/UHF Antenna
Love Mohu flat antennas but wish they were a bit more powerful, or helped you get a clearer picture on that one VHF range channel? If so, you might want to check out Mohu's newest flat panel antenna the Mohu Leaf Glide.
The Leaf Glide has a further range than the previous Leaf models and maxes out at 65 miles. And its larger size helps it pick up lower frequency VHF channels. It's available now direct from Mohu or from Amazon for $90.
Or if you've got a Sam's Club in your area, you might be able to pick up this sweet 2 for 1 Mohu bundle as seen on CordCuttersNews which at $60 is awesome value.
NEWS: Cox Rolling Out Data Caps to More Customers
If you're a Cox customer in Arizona, Nevada, Louisiana, or Oklahoma you've likely received notice of a new 1TB datacap on your home internet service. While Cox claims that only 2% of customers use more than 1TB of data during their billing cycles, cord cutters who rely primarily on streaming video services are more likely to use that much bandwidth.
There are tips and tricks for cutting the cord while keeping your bandwidth usage low, including getting some content via Over-the-Air TV and tweaking the settings of your streaming video services.
Are you a cord cutter with a datacap? Tell us how you manage to keep your bandwidth usage low on Twitter or Facebook.
STREAMING: What's Coming & Going from Netflix in July
If you're not feeling great because of the sketchy potato salad you had at the family cookout, settle into the couch and enjoy some of the new streaming shows on Netflix that supplement all of the great OTA TV you can watch with an antenna.
Here are our picks:
- Enjoy one of last year's biggest blockbusters: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Break out the Reeses Pieces and introduce the family to E.T. the Extra Terrestrial or enjoy the epic dinosaur adventures of The Land Before Time (1, 2 and 3)
- Celebrate Canada Day by watching the classic hockey movie Disney's The Mighty Ducks
- If you enjoy Celine Dion songs and a youthful Leonardo DiCaprio, you can check out Titanic (spoiler alert - the boat sinks)
- Netflix Original Friends from College is getting a lot of buzz, not only because it's from the creators of the excellent Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but because of its all-star cast including Keegan-Michael Key (Key & Peele), Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother), and Fred Savage (yes... Kevin from the Wonder Years!)
- Canadians can also enjoy one of Brad Pitt's best roles in Legends of the Fall, the classic romance Ghost, or the story of the making of Facebook The Social Network
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US here and in Canada here.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on this week including:
- Magic showcase Masters of Illusion hosted by Dean Cain is back for season 4 - June 30 @ 8:00 p.m. on CW
- CBC has a full day of programming for Canada's 150th birthday including Canada Day 150! - July 1 on CBC (see the full schedule here)
- Those in the US can enjoy 4th of July specials A Captiol Fourth and the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular - July 4th @ 8:00 p.m. on PBS & NBC
- Season 5 of The Amazing Race Canada premieres - July 4 @ 8:00 p.m. on CTV
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
CANADIAN CORNER: Big 150 Deal & Giveaway
You asked for a Canadian giveaway so to celebrate Canada 150, we delivered! We're giving you the chance to win a brand new Tablo DUAL OTA DVR and Mohu Leaf 50 antenna, so enter soon, enter often and share the contest with your friends to increase your luck!
We've also got an incredible sale happening on lovingly refurbished 2-Tuner OTA DVRs. For a limited time they're $150 which is an extra $30 off the existing sale price and over $120 off the regular retail price.
Don't miss out!
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!