Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we're talking about whether or not cord cutters absolutely NEED an antenna to get rid of cable TV...
Also: Q&A on the best ways to avoid commercials, Tablo QUAD is back in stock, Pluto has a 24/7 Dr. Who Channel, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
TOOLS: Do You Need A TV Antenna for Cord Cutting?
Q&A: What's The Best Way to Avoid Commercials?
If you want full commercial skipping control — at least for your local broadcast TV networks — watch with an Over-the-Air TV antenna connected to an antenna-compatible OTA DVR.
Most makes and models of OTA DVRs offer basic fast-forward options on all completed recordings. But some — like the Tablo OTA DVR — have more advanced ad-avoidance features like fast-forward previews and/or even hands-free Automatic Commercial Skip.
Pair that with an ad-free on-demand streaming service like Netflix and you'll have no idea what your co-worker is talking about when he says, "Hey, did you see that commercial where the guy does the thing?"
Have a question about cord cutting that you'd like answered? Send us a note and you may see your question in an upcoming issue of Cord Cutting This Week!
SHORT CUTS: Tablo QUAD in Stock, Classic Dr. Who on Pluto, & More
Some weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
Along with the FIFA Women's World Cup, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Season 6 of the crime drama Endeavour premieres - June 16 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Critically acclaimed drama The Good Fight finally comes to broadcast TV - June 16 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- Based on the Spanish telenovela series Gran Hotel, the Eva Longoria-produced Grand Hotel premieres - June 17 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC/CTV
- Magic show Penn & Teller: Fool Us returns for season 6 - June 17 @ 8:00 p.m. on CW
- Followed by the season 7 premiere of Whose Line Is It Anyway? - June 17 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Documentary movie The Lavender Scare makes its broadcast debut - June 18 @ 9:00 p.m. on PBS
- Nature documentary series Rivers of Life premieres - June 19 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on PBS
- Followed by the documentary When Whales Walked: Journeys in Deep Time - June 19 @ 9:00 p.m. on PBS
- ABC's game-show summer lineup continues with the premiere of mini-golf competition Holey Moley followed by Family Food Fight - June 20 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Or you can catch season 3 of the game show The Wall - June 20 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC
- Or the new high-stakes game show Spin the Wheel - June 20 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on FOX
- Crime procedural Reef Break premieres - June 20 @ 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING filter on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record!
CANADIAN CORNER: Crave Comes to Android TV Devices
Very slowly but surely Canadian streaming TV service Crave is adding support for new platforms.
This week owners of Android TV devices including Smart TVs and streaming players like the NVIDIA SHIELD and the Xiaomi Mi Box can now download and use an official Crave app.
Crave's owner Bell said in a release that additional platforms are coming soon, so hopefully, we'll see an official Roku channel added in the coming months.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!
If you have any feedback about the newsletter, hit reply and let us know or send us a message on social media.
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for up-to-the minute Tablo news and industry updates.