Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we're talking about the latest report on cord cutting growth in 2019.
Also: Automatic Commercial Skip is now available on Tablo DVRs, what's new on Netflix, must-see OTA TV, and more.
As always, if you know of someone who might need some insight or help with cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please forward our newsletter, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email.
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Cord Cutting Will Continue to Grow in 2019
According to a new report from Convergence Research, more than 4.5 million US households will cut the cord in 2019 which is up from 4.1 million last year.
Not surprising given the wide variety of cord cutting options available to consumers, and the increasingly escalating costs for cable.
The report also describes a less than rosy picture for 'skinny bundles' like DirecTV Now, citing rising costs, thin profit margins, and intense competition from ad-free options like Netflix.
However, this characterization was refuted by AT&T's CEO who said DirecTV's service is sustainable at its new $50 price point.
Whether skinny bundles survive or not, 2019 will be a pivotal year for the cord-cutting revolution.
NEWS: Automatic Commercial Skip Feature Rolls Out to Tablo DVRs
If you have a Tablo OTA DVR with an active subscription or trial, the new Automatic Commercial Skip feature is now in open beta!
Once your Tablo receives the 2.2.26 firmware update, new recordings will be processed for Automatic Commercial Skip detection and will play without any pesky commercials.
Tablo Automatic Commercial Skip is available on the following platforms:
• Tablo PREVIEW for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV
• Apple TV
For full details on how this feature works, head over the Tablo blog.
SHORT CUTS: Single Tier Pricing at Philo, New Roku Firmware, & More
Some weeks there's more news than we can cram into this email. Thankfully 'short cuts' delivers the cord cutting news and deals we didn't have room for, including:
STREAMING: What's New on Netflix
Alongside all of the free TV you can watch with an antenna, check out our picks for great shows and movies on Netflix for you to enjoy in May:
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
- Catch some comedic classics including the first two Austin Powers movies, Dumb & Dumber, and Wedding Crashers
- Looking for something a bit weirder? Try The Dark Crystal, Gremlins, or Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
- You can also power through all three Matrix movies
- Or check out Wine Country, a new original movie directed by and starring Amy Poehler and several other former SNL cast members
- On the TV side of things, you can check out seasons 1 & 2 of Outlander, or season 1 of Pose
- Canadians can also enjoy the Psycho trilogy, or the Oscar-winning horror film Get Out
See a full list of new Netflix shows in the US and in Canada.
As always, there's lots great TV coming to you FREE with an antenna this week including:
- Ava DuVernay-produced drama The Red Line premieres - April 28 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS
- Loved the Bohemian Rhapsody movie? Check out the documentary special The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story - April 29 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
- Sci-fi drama The 100 returns for season 6 - April 30 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CW
- Check out the 2019 Billboard Music Awards featuring performances from Ariana Grande, Halsey, BTS, and more - May 1 @ 8:00 p.m. on NBC/CTV2
- Check out the season 5 premiere of sci-fi drama iZombie - May 2 @ 8:00 p.m. ET on CW
Don't forget to regularly check the TV SHOWS > PREMIERING filter on your Tablo app to find and set new and old favorites to record!
CANADIAN CORNER: Plan to Rescan in Toronto, Windsor, & Victoria
If you watch CTV Over-the-Air in Toronto, Windsor, or Victoria make sure to run a fresh channel scan this weekend.
All three stations will be moving frequencies after April 28th. This type of change has been happening in the US over the past year or so.
You can learn more about why this is happening (just replace FCC with CRTC) and how to rescan your TV or your Tablo DVR on the blog.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!