Happy Friday Cord Cutters!
This week we've got your heads-up on the hottest Black Friday deals for cord cutters!
We're also sharing the latest news about our Tablo DUAL OTA DVR, talking about LTE filters and the FCC vote on ATSC 3.0, as well as this week's must-see TV.
If you, or someone you know is interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them, or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Let’s keep this cord cutting momentum going!
OK... now let's get to it!
NEWS: Tablo DUAL 64GB OTA DVR Now Available at Top Electronics Retailers
This week we announced wider retail availability for our newest hardware DVR Tablo DUAL!
Just in time for the holiday shopping season, Tablo DUAL is now available from your favorite electronics retailers including Amazon, Walmart, NewEgg, Frys, MicroCenter, Best Buy, and of course our own online store. And since we know how much cord cutters like to save money, we've also reduced the MSRP to $219.99 US or $289.99 CAD.
And speaking of company news, our CEO Grant Hall also sat down with the team at CordCuttersNews.com to talk about the company and the future of broadcast TV. You can listen to the full conversation on YouTube.
NEWS: FCC Votes Next Week on ATSC 3.0
Next Thursday, the FCC is set to vote on the approval of the ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard.
While some broadcasters and industry associations are eager to begin a rollout, and have even launched a test station in Cleveland, not all members of the FCC are on board.
Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel has been vocal in her opposition of the proposal which does not have any of the timelines, testing, or consumer protections that marked the transition from analog to digital broadcasts in the 2000s.
If you're looking for a primer on what ATSC 3.0 means for cord cutters, we've got one on the Tablo blog. And it's worth noting that even if the proposal is approved, a full transition is still years away.
We'll keep you posted on this story as it develops.
GEAR: What's an LTE Filter and Do I Need One for my Antenna?
LTE networks deliver super fast data connections to mobile phones and hotspots. The spectrum used by LTE (which is growing rapidly) is adjacent to the one used by Over-the-Air TV. In some cases, these signals can interfere with OTA reception causing breakups in your picture and sound, or causing you to lose the signal on that channel altogether.
Think LTE signals might be affecting your antenna? Check out this overview of LTE filters on the market, and how they work from the folks at TechHive.
Something to keep in mind though: while LTE filters can significantly reduce the amount of errors in the incoming broadcast stream, they often also reduce signal power which can lead to reception problems on weak channels.
DEALS: Who's Ready for Black Friday???
The biggest retail 'holiday' is around the corner, and the bargain lists are starting to come out (and some are live already!). Here are the deals we've spotted so far on gear for the cord cutter in your life:
- The most powerful streaming set-top-box, the NVIDIA SHIELD is at its lowest price ever ($169.99). This bundle includes BOTH the gaming controller and the remote. Add storage, a Tablo TUNER, and the Tablo ENGINE app and you've got an OTA DVR, streaming box, and gaming system in one!
- The Amazon Fire TV stick will be on for $24.99 (a savings of $15).
- Walmart's got two ROKU streamers in its flier - the lower-end Express+ is stocking-stuffer-worthy at $22, and the 4K Streaming Stick+ which has TV on/off and volume buttons is $48 (a savings of $21).
- Looking for a TV? It's hard to beat this 50" Sharp 4K ROKU-powered Smart TV at an incredible $180!
- And for Tablo OTA DVR users, one of our recommended hard drives - the Seagate Expansion 1TB is just $45.
WHAT'S ON: Must-See OTA TV
As usual, there's lots of great FREE TV on your antenna feed this week including:
Don't forget to set your Tablo to record all these great shows!
- Comedian Tiffany Haddish hosts with musical guest Taylor Swift on Saturday Night Live - November 11 @ 11:30 p.m. ET on NBC/Global
- Catch country star Miranda Lambert in concert on Austin City Limits - November 11 @ 12:00 a.m. on PBS
- Matt Leblanc's comedy Man With a Plan returns for season 2 - November 13 @ 8:30 p.m. ET on CBS/Global
- Find out what spending a year on the International Space Station does to you in Beyond a Year in Space - November 15 @ 9:00 p.m. on PBS
- Canadians can watch Dragon's Den star Arlene Dickinson help budding entrepreneurs in Under New Management premiering - November 16 @ 9:00 p.m. ET on CBC
CANADIAN CORNER: Amazon Introduces Fire TV to Canada
This week Amazon introduced a new Amazon Fire TV 'Basic Edition' stick ($49.99) which is intended for international markets including Canada and 100+ other countries. While the stick has an older-style non-voice remote, the specs of the device are solid despite it not offering 4K or HDR.
Amazon is hoping the device will lead to subscriber growth for its Prime Video service, but it supports many other apps including Netflix and Tablo.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of Cord Cutting This Week!
If you know someone who may be interested in cutting the cord on cable or satellite, please feel free to forward this newsletter to them or use the handy share buttons at the top of this email. Make sure to ask them to sign up as well!